History and facilities hire
A brief history of Townhill Park House
Townhill Park House is the former home of Lord and Lady Swaythling. The building dates from around 1790 and was extended and re-designed by the architect L. Rome Guthrie in an Italian-style in 1911; Guthrie also designed the terraced gardens to complement the style of the house, with planting plans produced by the noted plantswoman, Miss Gertrude Jekyll. Guthrie returned to Townhill Park House after the First World War to add a music room, panelled in polished walnut, and a boudoir for Lady Swaythling.
Guthrie also designed a garden at the rear of the house that the new boudoir overlooked and this became known as the Boudoir Garden. Queen Mary, a close friend of Lady Swaythling’s, visited Townhill Park House on a number of occasions, regularly enjoying a walk through the gardens.
The house was handed over to the Red Cross in 1939 and was used as an impressive convalescent home for British and American soldiers during the Second World War.
Middlesex County Council owned the house from 1948 until 1969, when it was used as an education centre for underprivileged children with learning difficulties.
Between 1969 and 1984, Townhill Park House was used for training marine cadets.
How to find Townhill Park House
Townhill Park House
Phone: 023 8047 2133
Fax: 023 8047 1080
Townhill Park House and its grounds may be hired for wedding receptions during the School's summer holiday period.
Function facilities include:
- the walnut-panelled Main Hall (originally Lord Swathling's Music Room), Reception Hall and Boudoir Room;
- kitchen and/or kitchenette;
- bar and bar lounge: the bar is manned by the school’s own staff and is subject to normal licensing laws and hours;
- 23 acres of grounds housing the historic Gertrude Jekyll gardens;
- the cost is £1700.
The Main Hall seats up to 120 people for a formal meal or, if not formally seated, up to 200 people.
To discuss availability, or to make a viewing appointment, please contact the Bursar on 023 8047 2133 during office hours.Terms and Conditions of hire:
- A deposit of £200.00 is required when making a booking.
- The deposit will be refunded within 10 days of the successful completion of the wedding function, assuming full compliance with the terms and conditions of hire.
- Functions cancelled within 6 months of the booking confirmation letter will be entitled to a 50% refund of the deposit. Thereafter, the full deposit will be forfeited.
- The Bursar or the Headteacher must be notified promptly of any damage caused to the premises and/or property of The Gregg and St Winifred’s Schools Trust.
Full Terms and Conditions of hire may be found on the booking application form.